Thursday, October 15, 2009

over-sexualization


article link: http://blog.mlive.com/neurotic_mom/2009/03/skanky_dora.html

Although I'm a little behind on this subject, the 'new tween Dora' frightens me. Mattel has now released images of the actual doll, which, according to them and the articles written since it's release in order to (I'm sure) calm the fires the initial design ignited, is more acceptable and less overtly 'sexualized' (read about it here : http://www.hispanicbusiness.com/news/2009/9/29/dora_links_doll_revealed_mattel_releases.htm )

Unfortunately, I don't buy it. Hell, even the comments on that article seem staged. "I'm a latina grandmother and great aunt and I want to say that I am very pleased with the tween Dora. She's very pretty and very appropriate. A good role model for teen clothing. I am buying one for my granddaughters and nieces and one for me!" Oh, I'm so sure. What a great role model this doll is for young girls. The Dora we've come to know is not afraid to have a great adventure, defies to confines of the female stereotype, is perhaps slightly overweight, cares not for fashion, only practicality, is a savvy problem solver and is smart! Fluidly speaking two languages at 8 years old! Now, in her 'tween' years, her life revolves around fashion, hair styles, and make-up? What kind of image is this selling our youth? All adventuring ends at the cusp of adulthood? Now is the time to focus on becoming something to be seen, not heard? Fashion is your new passion?

I think people fail to understand this point; it's not because Dora's new shape is too womanly, it's not because her clothing isn't age-appropriate, and it's not her long lashes, lip gloss and long, flowing hair. The issue lies in the fact that these elements are now her entire reason for being. It presents a reality to young girls that depicts a need for these things. So, even if the resulting doll is not nearly as shapely as the first image, or her hair not nearly as full and flowing, the entire context of the doll remains; she is a fashion plaything now, where once Dora represented a denial of the feminine boundaries set upon us by the Barbies and Lady Lovely Locks of my childhood. She represented an evolution in the presentation of girls in childhood toys, and the possiblity of change within societal representation of power. Dora was the ring leader in her exploring, the male characters turned to her for guidance and direction. This new presentation of her identity elimates all of the power she bestowed in her youth, and makes her into nothing more than a mannequin.

We need more strong female role models in media for young girls. The tween Doras, Miley Cyrus', Bratz dolls, and countless other (Disney) tweens in short skirts give them nothing to aspire to. I want tween Dora to grow up as Dora should; I want her to be wearing some practical rugged jeans or cargos for all of her exploring; perhaps a more demanding form of exploring, something along the lines of Kim Possible's dectective work, more savvy and unique, not just another tween with a new hair do.

It's 2009, we can do better than this.

2 comments:

  1. I'd hope that the new Dora will continue to have awesome bilingual adventures rather than all of a sudden being image and self-obsessed.

    I for one am going to reserve my judgment until I've seen an episode or two (and believe me, I will). For now, it seems that we're jumping to conclusions about what this new Dora is all about.
    In fact, isn't it US who are now perpetuating the exact stereotypes you're talking about if we're basing our thoughts on her appearance? ie: she has lip gloss and long eye lashes and therefore cannot be a suitable, practical role model. Why do we jump from: "She seems to care about her appearance" to: "She must have terrible scruples!" Must we only place the laurels of "suitable female role model" on the heads of unfashionable, dowdy women?

    Just because she's a little more mature looking and has had a style update doesn't necessarily mean that she's going to become some vacuous air-head.

    Furthermore, I wonder if it's not about time that a modern-styled and sharp-looking female role model -- who is also bilingual and has awesome adventures with a backpack and purple monkey -- takes the stage.

    Of course, I could be wrong. Maybe this new Dora is going to teach young girls all the Spanish translations for make up items and words like "trophy husband" and "nude photoshoot".
    ...
    But I'd like to think that's not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She won't be appearing in a tv series, she's just a fashion computer game.

    You buy the doll, and 'plug' the doll into your computer, and dress her up. This is what I've gleamed from the articles I've read, at very least. I'd dare to hope they give her more context than that...

    ReplyDelete