Friday, October 16, 2009

Historic coincidences?

October, 1929:
The Judicial Committee of the Privy Council overturns a Supreme Court of Canada ruling, in what was colloquially referred to as the "Persons Case". This case -- spearheaded by women who went on to be known as the "Famous Five" was aimed at allowing women to sit on the Canadian Senate. This has the double (and much more noteworthy) effect of making women known as "Persons" for the first time.
...
At the same time the Wall Street market crash plummets America into the depths of a depression that takes a second world-wide war to end, and less than a month later - Canada experiences it's worst Earthquake in recorded history, killing 28 persons. The underwater earthquake measures 7.2 on the Richter scale, causes a tsunami, and snaps several submarine transatlantic telegraph cables.
The outcome of this was of course that women in Canada could not use these wires to telegraph anyone in Europe to brag about their new found "person-ness".

Coincidence, or not?

(Note: This post is meant for entertainment purposes only. Please do not attempt to learn or use any of this information for any reason whatsoever.)

2 comments:

  1. I always knew that the evil Doctor Shockwave was a misogynist but I just needed these solid facts to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ....

    I..I don't know how I feel about this post.

    But, I'm glad you posted something, so I'll ignore that nagging voice telling me I should probably be outraged by the implications that feminists caused the great depression, and choose to instead perceive this as humorous.

    ReplyDelete