Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Artistic Evolution

I want to have a conversation. I want to talk about life, identity, technology, media, and how we see ourselves in the world, through the world, in our mirrors and in our monitors. I want to talk about how much crap we absorb in our lives. I want to talk about the line between the beautiful and the grotesque. I want to cross that line, distort that line, destroy that line. I want to make you see it. I want to reveal the construction of our lives. I want to show you how to deconstruct yourself, re-construct yourself, distort yourself, destroy yourself. See yourself differently. Break it all apart. You are not defined by these standards. See yourself, reflected in your screen. I want to have a conversation. I want to talk about it, I want to talk about now.

3 comments:

  1. It's like some scary po-mo self-help murderthon.
    And I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, it felt good to write that. I've been too suffocated for too long, trying to position myself as a scholar, and silencing myself in the process. I think I should write this way more often. Perhaps my thesis paper could be written this way. Wonder how they'd take that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It comes across with a great deal of energy, if anything, which scholarship definitely needs more of. It has been my experience that statements of activity like this only require that you back them up with an equal amount of honest work at what you hope to achieve. So long as you feel that you've lived up to the demands that you set on yourself, the conversation, you could write your thesis like this or work in this mode for the rest of your career.

    ReplyDelete